Sunday, November 22, 2009

ON GLOBAL WARMING, CORPORATE GREED AND UNEMPLOYMENT RATE IN USA

1) The Pandora’s box was already kept opened. You need not take credit for it nor share blame for the it.
2) I am not a geologist and I don’t claim to be an intellectual. A common citizen of India and I know my limitations. From what I have heard, what I have read, what I have seen and what I have experienced and still experiencing in my daily life I have come to certain findings and as long as these findings are not contradicted by somebody, unfortunately your comments are not found to be satisfactory, I can very well stick to my findings.
3) As I have already pointed out I am not a geologist and don’t have a doctorate, you may take on well-known environmental activists like Nobel laureates Rajendra Kumar Pachauri, Al-gore the former Vice-President of USA who is very much in USA and Lord Nicholas Stearns who has conducted a wider, intensive, in-depth study of the consequences of Global warming. ‘Yeah’, I do agree certain differences of opinion notwithstanding, you are also conscious of the harmful effects of Global warming.

Kamalesh Sharma, the Secretary General of Common Wealth in his article “Considerations before Common Wealth”, just days before a meeting of Common Wealth countries in Port-of-Spain- his words I quote: “ For some, our homes are under an existential threat: that of climate change. The most threatened are those who have done the least to bring us to this pass. Witness flooding in Maldives, Kiribati, Tuvalu and Bangladesh; encroaching desert in Namibia and Nigeria; thawing tundra in Canada; drought in Kenya and Australia; five times more hurricanes than usual in the Caribbean.”

4) Recently I came across an article in one of our national dailies about an widespread campaign by certain corporates by paying attractive incentives to their employees for writing blogs against environmentalists who fight for Global warming by spreading absurd, baseless and illogical lies against the “so-called Global warming”. These corporates will have certain vested interests to pocket dollars caring two hoots for the welfare of the future generation.
5) On my arguments against mega-hydro electric project along Narmada Sarovar citing the displacement of large number of Dalit farmers without providing them rehabilitation facilities, you talk eloquently about the necessity of electric supply to the rural poor. Amusing really. Poor as well as well as rich are entitled to power. You remain silent about the displaced lakhs without being provided with a rehabilitation package. This is not the only case with Narmada Sarovar and the Dalit farmers. The Tehri Dam construction led to similar situation, there also displacement of lakhs to nowhere created uncontrollable refugee problems. The hapless ones with their belongings moved to urban areas across India, even to Delhi, our Capital. This is not my figment of imagination. The argument I am driving home is nothing but the need for basic sanitation facilities, pure drinking water, at least two square meals a day and power supply. But the first and foremost is a roof over the head.
6) I am not against any American. If such misunderstanding flashed through your mind in the course of reading, I feel sorry. And I didn’t boast about the so-called hard-working Indians. I mentioned the IT graduates who work hard day in and day out to earn their living. As you had pointed out, barring a minority of government servants (I am not perfect either) are lazy. It is for the ruling regime to blame to a large extent and the bitter experiences you had undergone during your higher studies, the inordinate delay in getting the sanctioned scholarship for not greasing the palms of the ‘babus’ in government offices, working without pay for months together are touching, to say the least. This is not one person’s problem, it was here and it is here, and only God knows when will such a curse going to be revoked.
Sorry I have deviated from the point.
7) Outsourcing of IT work in good measure to India by the business tycoons and amassing huge amounts with arrangements with the IT barons of India who also benefit a big chunk from them by paying a pittance to the IT graduates. The ‘unprecedented prosperity’ and the ugly secrets behind it were brushed under the carpet by the ruling mandarins of USA. But a few investment bankers and corporates were anticipating the impending bubble-burst and inspite of these anticipations paid their CEOs huge bonus packets. The earth-quaking consequences of the collapse of American economy due to the corporate greed due to Market-Economy advocacy of the then President George W Bush and Federal Reserve Chairman, Alan Greenspan have come to the surface to the shock of all nations, developed and developing alike across the world.

8) I had already indicated that I am not against any American and the anger and outburst of President Barack Obama against the corporate CEOs for paying fat bonuses to themselves and the young employed youth playing truant by indulging in video games was very much in the news. At the time of his occupying White House, American economy was in a downward spiral and even the talk of protectionism came to the fore which if implemented would have affected India badly. Now the unemployment percentage has reached double-digit level and Nobel laureate Paul Krugman writes columns repeatedly asking for an additional stimulus package to keep the economy going smoothly. As you put it, a lady working in the ‘so-called capitalist nation has the right to talk frankly and with conviction is not abhorrent to the Indian psyche’. India’s educated, enlightened women are on the war-path for more rights and welfare of women - their demands are umpteen. Yeah, they are lagging behind USA in many aspects, it is due to the culpability of the successive governments that ruled our nation since 1947. It seems, though an Indian, particularly a Malayalee, in a remote corner of your mind, you have some kind of hatred towards this nation. Be that as it may.

9) While ending my previous e-mail, I had appreciated you for responding to my blog in a gentle manner. You took it for sarcasm. Never in my dreams did I think about passing sarcastic comments against you. Believe it or not, that is up to you. A healthy debate was very much in my mind. Not now anyhow. Nothing more, nothing less. Okay.

No comments: