Monday, March 30, 2015

HOLY COMMUNION


POEM

It was a Sunday
on which I saw you first.
Whether you
were seeing me first
on that same day. 
We threw glances at
each other but didn’t
utter a single word.
Cute, pretty,
ineffable and attractive, I  couldn’t  erase
your face for days together
which was indelibly imprinted 
on the wall of mind.
I earnestly wished to
meet you everyday
but after that Sunday
I couldn’t espy you
for a long period.
Whither you went and
whether you would 
appear before me a
second time like we
first met on that
fateful Sunday.
My sullen look told me
that you wouldn’t come
before me another day.
On the contrary, on a
fine  Sunday morning 
I saw you walking along to
the church to attend the
Holy Communion.
Taken aback with
unbelieving eyes I threw
my glances repeatedly
at you and on watching my
embarrassed but pleasant face
you threw a question-
‘Can’t believe? Yes, I am
the same lady you saw
me first on that very Sunday
my heart  missed a beat
and with stammering voice
I asked  -
‘True , I can’t believe myself
from that very day I am
keeping your face in 
my memory and I wanted
again and again   to
see you another day’
you just threw
a beaming smile at me and uttered –
‘But everyday  , every morning,
I see you walking
along the road with your
head held high, but
with a sullen face’.
Again,
 taken aback I was wondering
how come you see me
daily and from where.’
Still, I wonder
from  where you were glancing  at me.
Anyhow the very thought
that you find  time
to watch me walking down
the foot-path to the
bus-station.


No comments: