Wednesday, February 27, 2013

NOTHING REMAINS STATIC


The same old congested city
the same old long-winding street
with crowds like ants pulling
along to and fro
keeping no pattern.
Vehicles roaring past
blaring horns in opposite directions.
Dilapidated, multi-storeyed
buildings on both sides of the street
with broken, grimy walls.
Whenever I had walked
down the street 
(sorry, I have lost count of
the numbers of years
since I last passed along
this street) 
I had experienced the sense of a
pristine city emerged before my mind.
I stopped in front of a
double-storeyed building
old, dilapidated with broken
grimy walls or
stained with dirt
muddy, yellowish tinge.
Climbing up the ladder
I could listen the wooden steps
making a creaking sound.
The steps were always
like that, I reflected.
There were times on
climbing up the wooden ladder
made me feel frightened with its
creaky sound,
my heart-beats pounding incessantly.
I always feared, the ladder
would collapse anytime.
The wooden steps too
were old and ugly,
but the feelings of
fear and heart-beats
like drum beats
vanished gradually.
Now that
after a gap of several years
(sorry I have lost count
of the number of years)
here  I am once again.
I entered the corridor
engulfed in solid thick darkness
and walked cautiously, slowly
to the dinghy room
where both of them
Rahul and Eva lived.
To my surprise and astonishment 
the room which was
always kept alight
with a slice of light spread
outside through the half-closed door
during day time.  
To my shock and astonishment
the door was kept locked
with no light spreading outside.
Still I
dared to knock on
the door two to three times.
On hearing my footsteps
a stranger in the
adjacent room
came out and inquired:
‘Looking for Rahul and Eva’?
‘Yeah, yeah’ – with a
smile I shook my head.
‘Both left the room
two years back.
They’re somewhere in Andheri now.
Don’t know the exact location’ –
I hid my shock and pain behind a veil 
of smile.
Neither did I inquired him
anything nor did I
bid him goodbye.
Through the solidified darkness
I walked cautiously, slowly and walked down
the wooden steps of the ladder
shaking frequently
my mind was quite empty      
 and didn’t think or recall anything
about my friendship with Rahul and Eva
who were close to my heart
for several years
while living in the city.

                      

No comments: