Tuesday, December 27, 2011

FOR FAVOURS RECEIVED

On the auspicious festival of
a X’mas day
a beggar came to my house
begging for something.
He was emaciated and rib-caged
clad in ragged clothes
his long flowing grey hair
and equally flowing long beard
with shining eyes
I saw Jesus in him.
I looked at him with
all respect and worship
gifted him with
a good feast,
a large piece of cake
some money and clothes.
I had an inkling that
perhaps Jesus must be
standing before me
in disguise of a beggar
to test my love of humanity
especially my attitude
towards the poor.
The old man was
heartened by my hospitality.
‘May God bless you’ – he told me
in an elated mood.
I was also delighted
by his words of blessing
and when he bid adieu
I felt somewhat sad.
The next week too
the same beggar came
to my house and stretched
his hands towards me
folding his hands.
The X’mas day dawned on me
and I said to myself
‘it is the same old man’.
I gave him just a coin.
Within no time
he threw it in my face
and spat on the floor
and cursed me
saying ‘you will go to hell’.
On hearing his mutterings
I couldn’t help
mocking myself.

No comments: