Sunday, September 2, 2012

CITY LIGHTS


Each day he is a different person.
I saw him first
in a temple in the city
prostrating before
the God, he was.
His face was calm and serene then.
He was devotion personified.
Next I saw him in a bar.
In an inebriated condition
he was.
I watched him smoking
cigarette after cigarette
non-stop, puffing out smoke-rings into the twilight-like atmosphere.
His face was that of
confirmed drunkard then.
Next I saw him
with a pretty girl in a flowered dress,
walking down a beach
he was holding her soft hand
which reminded me of a rose-petal.
He was romance personified then.
Next I saw him
in a brothel
coming out after a temporary gratification.
Each day he is a different person,
Each day I am a different person,
In this vast city of multitudes
each man is a different incarnation….      

No comments: