Thursday, September 5, 2013

FACE TO FACE


We are two strange friends.
Strange in the sense that
neither I nor she knows
each other’s whereabouts
nor have we cared to.
In this strange city
where life flows like
a swiftly flowing river
the thin line dividing
friendships and strangeness has little significance  
and existence ephemeral.
I first met her in a
posh- restaurant while thinking over
the news of a brutal deflowering
of an young journalist by some sex-maniacs
in the sunset moments the other day.
Such events have started pouring in
getting to be the order of the day
where women could roam
in the thick of nights like free birds some time back.
The lady in her
sleeveless dark blouse, white saree
with her hair cropped sat face to face to me
and ordered a glass full of gin-lemon codial.
In the dim, cool ambience
she too must have been reflecting
on something which was better known to herself.
Though taken aback for a split second
I regained my calm,
gave a welcoming smile
to her and she returned it back.
I was coming to my last gulp of beer
and was in for ordering the second one.
she offered me a cigarette while lighting one
and taking a puff.
“The city is a roaring beast
and for escaping from the beast
we have found a shelter
here inside the AC restaurant
at least for some moments, NO?”
-She was poetic in her words.
I shook my head in agreement.
our talks went on for one or two hours
within which we did dwell on topics aplenty
if not everything under the sun
with occasional silence and deep sighs
playing spoil-sport.
Upon coming outside the restaurant
the city as usual was a roaming beast.
Wishing a big bye
each moved along in opposite directions.
We continue meet
once in a while not
knowing each other’s
whereabouts.
Neither have we cared to……

  


No comments: