Friday, September 24, 2010

MEMORIES, SILENT COMMUNICATIONS

Sitting alone
here on the river banks
watching
the smooth, deceptive
calm
over the river surface
unmindful of the strong,
violent undercurrents
my mind
travels backwards,
at least for a few moments.
Remembering me
that day which sent
a chilling sensation
down my spine
the moment I lost
my sense
eyes wide open.
She was as usual,
with the spirit of one
crossing the English
channel
her swimming prowess
not at all was in doubt
swimming across the river
but
upsetting my calculations,
expectations and confidence
reaching midway
fatigue seemed to be getting hold of her
like a python whirling around her body
hands and legs drained-off
their strengths
she was slowly drowning
caught in the swirls
with her two hands
desperately extended upwards
her struggle for
catching hold of the last straw
from the jaws of death
they were also bit by bit
going down
as if somebody was
pulling her down,
helpless for
a moment I stood
she moving away and away
with the strong flow
the chilling sensation
that went down my spine
still replicates
on recalling the moments.
With no further
thoughts
myself
got transformed into a
speed-boat
sped me like an arrow
driving a wedge in waters
and reached me for her
and caught sight of her
floating hairs
with the might of
hitherto unknown Power
clutched her hair
with an iron hand
dragged her towards the river banks,
her entire consciousness
already drained away.
Know me not
after years
sitting somewhere
in her moments of solitude
whether she recalls
that horrifying day
her teenage companion's face
know me not
those days when we
were one and the same...
'recalling me still dear
that fateful day...'
her soothing words
from afar like
cool breeze caressing me
embracing me...reverberated
making my eyes
teary...

No comments: