Thursday, June 13, 2013

MEMORIES FADE NOT


Whenever someone close to me
shares his/her dreams about
developing wings
shivers run down my spine
and you might be wondering
why.
I had a friend who was a
colleague of mine
many years senior to me
while working together in an institution.
Beings, colleagues and intimate friends
it was our pleasure to share
our feelings, some agonizing, some rejoicing.
He being  tongue in cheek
it was a pleasurable, joyous
experience to spend time
with him as many time as I could.
In the course of time
he being far senior to me
had to bid farewell to all colleagues
on reaching superannuation.
He being my intimate friend
even after the painful farewell
continued the friendship
thru frequent calls over phone
either by him or by me…
Days passed, weeks passed
months passed, years passed
and river of time  continued to flow  
through unknown lands
our frequent calls
turned rare
the warmth but remained intact.
One day, after a long pause,
I made a call to him
he was his usual self
in a cheerful, merry mood,
shared with me thoughts
past and present.
Memories never fade away
you know
at least in our case it was quite true.
Before switching off the mobile
he told apparently
with no emotions
about him developing wings.
I couldn’t make head or tail of it
still not inquired what
he meant by it.
On a pleasant note
the our talks came to
an end that day.
Now after a long spell
when I saw him
in the obituary column
in the inner page of a newspaper
a shudder went down my body
and I remained spell bound
for a long time
unable to move or talk.
Memories never fade away.
Memories never fade away
at least in our
prolong friendship….
   

No comments: