Friday, November 14, 2014

FIRST PRIZE WINNER

In the early hours of the morning
I woke up at 6 AM sharp as usual.
My wife had already woken up 
and after her routine chores
she entered the kitchen
and prepared a cup of
hot black coffee
and brought it to me
I woke up from the bed and she
handed over the cup of black coffee.
Like a person sipping
liquor in an air-conditioned bar
I started sipping the
sweet black coffee
enjoying each sip 
praising my beloved wife
for preparing such
a nice cup of
coffee silently.
I threw my hands
in to the air followed
by a deep sigh of relief.
I unlocked the door to the verandah
where the  day’s newspapers
one in vernacular language
and the other in English were left behind
by the newspaper boy.
Picking up the newspapers
and reclining conveniently
in my easy chair
and began leafing thru the page.
Though  the newspapers
convey the news of tragedies
be them regional, national
and international
the newspapers have
already evolved into
opium  which easily enslaves us.
‘Hello good morning’
the lottery vendor Chakkappan
unexpectedly was standing
infront of me with folded hands.
‘Sir, have you kept the
lottery ticket safely
in your possession’?
- he was asking
‘Certainly’ – I answered him.
‘Then go through the paper
and verify your ticket
with that of the newspaper’ – he implored.
I went inside within no
time and brought the
ticket and verified my number
with that of the newspaper.
Overwhelmed with joy
and pleasant surprise
I glanced again and
again at the ticket
which has won first prize.
My joy knew no bounds
and felt like jumping
again and again and called 
my wife and divulged
the happy news of winning first  prize
amounting one crore rupees.
Chackappan too was delighted
and pleaded with me to
go to the bank with the
clock at the stroke of 10AM.
As told by Chackappan
to go straight to the bank
I rushed to the bank
where I had opened an
account a year back.
I went direct to the
cabin where the manager
was seated who looked
serious and on seeing me
and my wife he frowned
at us which we didn’t care. 
I took out the ticket
from my pocket.
‘Sir I am so and so
I have won one crore that
is the first prize’ and
handed it over to him for verification.
Manager shed his arrogance
and exasperation and glanced
at us respectfully.
He asked me to sign 
on the back of the
ticket and complied with his request. 
In the meanwhile
two cups full of
Nescafe, one for me
and one for my wife
I was wondering
whenever I came to
the bank in the past
he was not even willing to
even listen to
my grievances and one day
in the past he even went
to the extent of ordering
me to get out.
‘The same idiot is
full of smiles and
praises towards us’

Money is power, you know.  

No comments: