Saturday, May 2, 2015

HER WOES


POEM

If I mistook him for an alcoholic
it was not my fault.
Everyday, driving his car
he reached his flat in the late
hours of the night.
Each day she waited for him
without plunging into sleep
until he reached the flat
though drowsiness pushed
her to lay asleep.
Except me,
all the neighbouring flats 
sank in darkness with the occupants
diving deep into the river of deep sleep.
I do have a habit of going to sleep
very late as I did have
a lot to read and write.
On hearing his knocks on the door 
she opened the door with dark  clouds
of anger and sorrow enveloping her face. 
She couldn’t keep mum for long
though she suppressed
her anger until he
tried to cajole her with a broad smile.
She ventilated her emotions
directed against him
but he never got angry
and silently listened to
her angry outbursts.
One day she even went
to the extent of threatening
him with filing a divorce petition
if he was bent upon
reaching very late into the flat.
This was not because
he did have any extra-marital affairs.
Her faith in him was rock-solid
and was aware of his deep
love and attachment towards her.
Neither was he an alcoholic.
One night I could hear her words
piercing my ears ‘work , work and work
day to midnight without
spending some time for her and two children.
Then I could reach the conclusion that
he was not an alcoholic, but a workaholic.
May be workaholism

too is a kind of ‘disease’ like alcoholism.  

No comments: