Saturday, December 18, 2010

VACUUM IN THE SOUL

The train chugged along
unknown territories
hooting sirens at intervals.
An angry sun was
spitting fire into the
compartments arranged
like tinder boxes in a row.
Vast sprawling sunflower
fields
at both sides of the
train
the peacocks moving
in between the fields
spreading wings at times
that too feast to the eyes.
Like me waving the day’s
paper in the absence of a fan
to escape from the sweat,
in the opposite seat
she too waving the
newspaper
our fans for the time-
being.
Winds too
blowing from outside
pretty hot
both complained into
each other about
the unforgiving sun.
From which station
she boarded the train
as I was caught in
a deep slumber in the night.
Waking up
to my surprise
saw me a girl occupying a seat
reading something.
I slowly stepped down from
the upper-berth
went to the wash-basin
washed my face
and came back refreshed.
The morning sun was gentle
casting warm rays
hence his embrace soothing.
Gave she a smile
pretty smile of a blonde
returned back the smile
both entered into
sweet and friendly talks
a pleasure, a great
pleasure, no moments of
boredom we felt.
Evening came,
sun shed his madness
of the afternoon,
for the day
calm and quiet
wind too soothing
caring, caressing.
Veil of darkness
in sight slowly engulfing the
whole landscape
watched her face
fading like a tender
flower in the evening.
In came the night
simultaneously came
light in the compartment
both shared food,
from the same plate
‘fun and pleasure’ –
she smiled.
Wishing goodnight
we went to our berths
fell into sleep
the next moment
woke up early in the
morning,
just to have a look
at her.
Shocked I was
missed a heartbeat
took a few minutes
to come to grip
with the painful fact
that she alighted
somewhere along
the way…
Naughty girl…
whispered me to
myself,
as the train chugged
along
hooting intermittent sirens
still that face
still that smile
still that experience
of sharing food,
from the same plate,
boarded she later
than me
alighted she earlier
than me…
naughty she……
kind of vacuum filled
my soul……..

No comments: