Thursday, April 11, 2013

THE POND


Sitting by the side of
the rectangular pond
filled to the brim
with calm, quiet and serene water
the pond resembled a prism
or to be more apt a mirror
reflecting the blue sky up above
in the afternoon
I bent over and saw myself
being mirrored by the pond.
I hoped and wished
for a transparent, pure, tranquil mind
which unlike the  
calm, serene, quiet pond
without any ripples
 is unfortunately a  tumultuous
roaring sea
since a prolonged time.
I saw fish and
water-snakes
coming to the surface and
diving to the bottom intermittently
like children playing pranks
but without disturbing
the serenity of the lucky pond
I recalled the days
while I was a child
throwing pebbles at the water 
creating multiple ripples
which I later repented.
Enjoying the cool
breeze flying over
the green paddy fields
I sat beside the pond
atoning for my innocent sins.
Sitting beside the pond
to my shock and arrant confusion something
heavy fell into the pond from nowhere.  
My eyes  went moist
 on watching the
multiple ripples in the pond
disturbing the serenity of it.
My eyes wandered around
in annoyance to find out the culprit.
I saw a child running faster
to nowhere like a butterfly
fluttering its wings flying away.
My mind travelled back to the city
from where I came to my home
the other day for one month.
traversing long distance
and the sea where the whole time
life is like a turbulent sea with
countless waves speeding to the shore,
hitting the rocks and speeding back
with double the force
only to return with much vigour  and strength
I waited for the mild ripples to vanish
as I wished to see serene pond again
which could soothe
my tormented, agonizing mind at least
for a while….
But what baffled me was
the little child who played with prank
by throwing something heavy into the pond
who disappeared with lightning speed……
Was he myself of the yester years…………..?     

No comments: