Tuesday, April 16, 2013

THE SHADOWS


From the sunrise of my life
 I had a hobby of
watching and enjoying  shadows
my shadows, others’ shadows
even the shadows of plants and trees
and their leaves and flowers engaging in
dancing on the whitewashed walls of my home.
Lengthened shadows,
shortened shadows,
and medium shadows, 
all shadows
in the sun and night.
Whenever my grandmother
saw me watching shadows
in the night or during the day
she wasted no opportunity
to admosnish me
not to look at shadows .
‘It is not a good habit, my child
watching shadows’ – she reminded me, reprimanded me
even pinched my ears frowning at me.
It was my pleasure to
run my fingers through
her silvery hairs reminding one of cotton wools
which looked like her pure white village dress.
She was too fond of me that
whenever she got something
new to taste, chew and swallow
mouth-watering mango fruits, bananas,
oranges, sweet and tasty eatables.
She would call me to the kitchen
while playing with my friends
would whisper to me – ‘Don’t
tell your friends, have it’
mango fruits, grapes, oranges ,
bananas, eatables…..
Despite her sweet advices and cajoling
reprimands and even pinching
when it came to the habit of watching shadows.
I continued to indulge in the hobby stealthily
without her being aware of.
It was something mysterious
the shadows moving to and fro  
watching them playing and
imitating me on the whitewashed walls of 
my home.
I began to hate shadows
and to fear shadows
of myself and others
since my grandmother’s death.
Though I hated them, feared them
since her death
once in a while my
eyes would cajole me to
watch my shadow
but in the next second
I turned back in hatred and fear.
But now in my middle-age
with remorse
I realized
I was running after shadows
still run after shadows
and as long as  I am alive
I have no escape from shadows.
Sometimes I feel
I am chasing shadows
since the sunrise of my life
which is true?...... I know not…

No comments: