Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A BARREN EXISTENCE


Bereft of the emotions,
love, affection,
pain and agony
sorrow, anger and ecstasy
the river of life
has turned into a desert.
Bereft of
the ornaments of mangroves
on both sides
of the river o f life
the river looks like a widow
like a pale, emaciated women
with her collar-bones 
projecting like two bows
her breasts looking flat 
her abdomen empty with lots of stretch marks
her face always clouded with
sadness and gloom.
Here I sit
on one side of the barren river
rewinding my memories
I see before me
quietly, serenly flowing river
with abundance of  water
and with strong under-currents.
In the sunrise of my life
I used
to swim  from one side
to the other along with
my friends and siblings,
the  days the fishermen
rowing their  boats
inviting the river-side dwellers
to purchase fresh fish
with peculiar loud noises
kind of musical sounds.
Those were days with ornaments
of thick, verdant mangroves adorning the river
on both sides.
Living in the mid-noon of my life
with springs of
love, compassion, kindness
anger, delight,  pain and sorrow
and ecstasy in my heart
not yet totally dried-up, thank God.
I am asking myself
will this river be free
from the curses
showered upon her by Mother Nature
will the waters of emotion
love, affection
pain and agony
delight and ecstasy
fill the river once again
will the ornaments of 
verdant mangroves, adorn it once more
will such a day arrive once again
or whether there remaining
springs of love and compassion
agony and ecstasy
anger and kindness
get totally dried-up
in the immediate future……?
making existence on earth
fall into permanent doom …?   
        

No comments: