Thursday, March 21, 2013

SEA OF MEMORIES


Metro is a melting pot
under the searing mid noon-sun.
Spending at least thirty minutes
leaning over
the balcony of the
flat on the tenth floor of this
multi-storeyed building
with eyes hovering over
the vast sea of
sky-rocketing concrete structures,
a few of them factories
with dark clouds of smoke
billowing out of
the dusky chimneys
the madding crowd
and roaring vehicles
are something nauseating to me.
With a tense and cloudy mind
I go inside the flat
and slump into my bed.
In my moments of solitude
my mind dives deep into the
sea of memories
where I find my
native village wrapped around
with transparent and verdant clothes
the swift flowing river
down my ancestral home
I see myself swimming
along the river with
my childhood friends in a spirit of sportsmanship.
That old mango tree
in the premises of home
in its flowering season
gradually evolve into
little and then
a bit more large-sized
green mangoes,
green mangoes gradually
ripening and
developing into mouth-watering sweet fruits
for which I and my
childhood friends
waiting anxiously for  winds to flow
from elsewhere
which occasionally blow
and shake the  branches
resulting in the mango-fruits falling
in ones, twos and severally
followed by our competition
running after the mango fruits
to collect them
and our little, little squabbles.
Green, paddy fields
houses with tiled roofs partially-visible  behind
coconut trees, areca nut trees, plantain and vegetable gardens.
The temple in the neighbourhood
and two old giant-sized peepal trees
infront of and on both sides of
the temple,
the get-together
of youths sitting
on the round platforms built
around the peepal trees
in the twilight sun
spreading its vast
transparent golden cloth across the land
cracking wits
the evening pilgrims
who visit the temple
to offer oblations before the God
standing before
the deity with folded palms.
A long-winding path
in front of the temple
on both sides of which
flowers of various colours
stick out
inviting everyone’s attraction
and the path opening to
a tarred road running
south to the north like a dark serpent
and houses, tea shops
provisional stores
and cigarettes and pan vendors
on both sides of the
road and…and……and……………….
Lo and behold
now in the midst of concrete structures
listening to the ear-splitting
nauseating noises of a
metro…..since
the last several years.
Now that my village
also has turned into a city
and all the greenery gone
the only alternative left to me
is diving deep into the sea of
my memories… once in a while.       
      

No comments: