Thursday, July 16, 2015

TEARS OF JOY


POEM

Awaiting you at Dadar
I spent the whole night
sitting and dozing somewhere
walking along from one end of the
platform to the other end
through the milling crowd
who had already come
and who kept on pouring into the platform 
like incessant rain
some with their luggages
some waiting to
receive their dear ones
who travel all  the way from Kerala,
and with the train blaring horn
from far away distance
with the anxious relatives 
and friends with their  eyes  shining,
hearts thumping and with many a joy
and news to share
hugging each other
lifting up each other with
rivers of tears of delight flowing down
each other’s faces
and lights shining
up above to display them
in front of the world.
Porters who were sitting
in the corners and playing cards
wake up and run helter-skelter
to have a good day
and cabbies waiting outside for good
rides expecting somebody to call them
for journeys, if possible long distance ones,
God willing.
Though I wandered looking for you
from compartment to compartment
till the last traveler went out
I couldn’t locate you and with sadness
I caught a taxi to the flat and
to my utter surprise and pleasure
you were there awaiting me outside the flat …..
you mischievous pretty girl..
‘Am I enjoying a dream’ – I asked myself
with my eyes gone wide
and you rushing to hug me, hug me, hug me
and trying to lift me up
to the world of ecstasy……  


No comments: