Wednesday, July 15, 2015

THOSE GLORIOUS DAYS


POEM

Those were not the days of cell phones.
Those were not the days of internet and 
e-mails pregnant with life-less words. 
Those were the days of
lively, throbbing words
inside inlands or postal covers.
On the day of her departure to the
distant city to take up  her new assignment
her eyes welling up and
the lump in her throat
blocking her not to bare her feelings.
With a smile, though a painful one
which he hid behind the veil of pleasantness
he consoled her.
‘Cry not my daughter
I wish always I wish
you were my own daughter
do write to me and
share with me your joys and sorrow
here I am free to share
with you and console you
whenever  you feel like missing me badly
here I am always anxious to learn
about your moments of joy and delight and
thereby overwhelm me and get me elated.
You always wished
to call me your friend, philosopher  and guide,
even your mentor.
Do I deserve such compliments
and if you are so particular, eyes
you can call me that way
and let me call you
my daughter, my own beloved daughter.
Once in a year or two, whenever
 I get an opportunity to
pass thru your beloved city, you know
by that time you would get accustomed with
the city, part of the city which does
have a rare virtue to endear anyone
who spends mere two weeks of sojourn
 with her and gets attracted to her lullaby,
care and affection.
You know, once upon a time I too was
in her lap and was close to her bosom.
Write to me, my daughter
write to me, whenever
you fell free to share

with me your joys and sorrows….. ‘

No comments: