Monday, July 6, 2015

THE TWILIGHT



POEM


Sun had shed
his intense anger
with the slow approach of twilight.
From afar I saw my
uncle in his saffron 
robe sitting on a concrete bench
under a gulmohar tree with full of
red flowers.
He was sitting alone
as if he was expecting somebody
coming to visit him.
He had become too lean
looking like a breathing skeleton.
When he saw me approaching him
his eyes shone and tears welled up in his eyes.
I sat near him and gifted me a painful smile.
From a millionaire to a
pauper because of
his uncontrolled drinking
with his so-called
friends in the faraway city.
And he finding no other way
started disposing of his business empire.
At last he along with his family caught a train
to his native village
followed by shifting 
to his wife’s house. 
‘Auntie and children
coming to meet
you once in a
while, No?’ I enquired him.
With sarcasm writ large on his face
he told me:
‘Even if the children
wanted to see me
the ultimate authority
is she and no one else.’
The twilight sun
went down the western
horizon with the fall of darkness.
‘She has amassed a huge amount
while I was spending my  golden days
 in the faraway city,
and when I became bankrupt
 she asked me to go out of her house
since she didn’t have any  need of me.
I saw my children silently
weeping which broke my heart.
Meanwhile the disease reached its
final stage and I caught
a bus to meet  my one
and only brother who
was instrumental in
admitting me in the sanatorium.
Occasionally he comes to me
from  the faraway house and 
spent some precious moments with me.
The river of
time was flowing quickly.
‘Uncle, let’s go
inside the sanatorium
and it is too dark’
we entered it and I helped him to
lie on his bed.
I gave him some money and told :
This is for my satisfaction. Please
accept it. I shall come
to meet you at least
twice o r thrice of a month.
Tears flowed down from his eyes…..                                                                                                           
and from my eyes too as I was  walking
to the street side
to catch an auto or bus to the city
to catch the train chugging  fast
runs  thru my village.
His emaciated figure
reflected again and again
in the mirror of my mind………..


No comments: