Saturday, October 30, 2010

OUR LOCAL GOD

Eulogizing the victor
in the just concluded,
elections,
wrote me a poem
extolling his virtues,
on a piece of paper,
just to present him
during his customary visit,
to offer thanks to all
in our locality,
friends and foes alike,
typical of a politician.
After anxious wait,
the esteemed leader with garlands-
galore,
around his neck
accompanied by his followers
visited our home to
bless us with his profuse
charm, promises, assurances,
thank God.
As an expression of rejoice
grateful for his generosity,
to pay a courtesy call,
we got him seated,
on our sofa
his followers to his
left and right and all around
all in good spirits.
Read me the poem,
music to his ears
and to his followers.
Presented all on a platter
fruits and snacks
got it emptied in
seconds,
seemed to be like those
hailing from
starving millions of
Sub-Saharan Africa
presented him with
the poem,
elated he was
gave me a warm hug
elated myself too,
at last blessed I am
by the Local God…
Bid all good-bye
all in smiles
and in a hurry
rushed out to neighbouring
houses.
Everything over,
time ticked away,
evening came,
time for my evening walk,
and as I stepped
outside
saw me a twisted piece
of paper on the wayside
took it up,
taken aback,
found be to my shock, surprise
and fun
found it to be
my poem presented to
the Local God,
half-an-hour back.
Divine chap, no doubt,
otherwise,
how come he knew,
while he came to me,
campaigning in the run-up
to the elections
the notice presented to
me by him
on his going out
was twisted in the
same fashion,
and thrown into my dustbin,
unread…?

No comments: