Friday, May 27, 2011

THE MAN WHOM I MET

Recently I met a man,
whom I was meeting the
first time in my life.
With a broad smile
he came to me
extended his right
hand in my direction
though flabberghasted
I too extended my
hand towards him.
We shook hands
he with his wide smile
I with an embarrassed look.
His approach, body language
pleasant face all
hinted a simple
truth that
I am known to him
since millennia
which was embarrassing
and astonishing.
With his evergreen
smile
so it seemed to me
he patted my shoulder
and said
‘thirty years have brought
about tremendous changes
in you,
I know for sure
changes both internally and externally.
The signs of that youth is
nowhere seen in you
please recall those
days
that lean and lanky youth
energetic and vibrant
that thick growth of
hair like bushes
that casanova smile
all disappeared
instead
this bulky figure
with the enormous paunch
this bald head reminding
one of a mirror under
the Sun
these wrinkles
these pepper-salt
moustache and long flowing beard
this tiresome face
yes, vast changes
already seems to have
caught up with you’.
On saying all these
I saw not a trace of
sympathy or grief
that evergreen smile
still adorning him
his age always
elusive.
With the same embarrassment
with the trembling voice
I asked him
‘Who are you actually?
He burst out
laughing and I saw him
transforming himself into a
TIME-PIECE.

No comments: