Thursday, August 22, 2013

THE BABY DOLL


Yesterday
while taking an evening walk
down the pavement of the city
I happened to enter a
baby palace
for no apparent reason.
My glance ran about
the baby palace
filled with toys and dolls
and upon spotting a baby doll
with unbelievable eyes
my glance got fixed on
the bay doll of ineffable beauty
and felt ineffable joy
I made her my own.
She was like an angel
clad in shining white frocks with frills
and beckoning eyes
which conveyed a
mischievous smile.
Like a dad
taking care of his baby
I took extreme care of her
and upon reaching home
I placed her in a safe place
so as to enable me
to have an eye on her
every moment.
Her lively, lovely eyes
her beaming smiles
her white frocks with frills
all beyond words to express.
After a cat nap
upon looking at
her to my shock and embarrassment
I saw blood oozing out
of the corners of her eyes
I saw her breathing with
much difficulty
foam spilling out of
her mouth
I was at a loss about what to do.
Before collapsing
panting she told me in broken words -
‘I was a child of Syria
I was a child of caring and loving parents
I was a child with full of dreams of my future
and all that.
And now
I am here like this….’
She couldn’t say anymore…..

No comments: