Friday, August 19, 2011

MY MEMORY BOOK

On leafing thru’
the huge volume of
my memory one day
I could trace out
and figure out
almost all the events
and all figures in my life
I was associated with
since my childhood
except the picture
of a child whom I found a
stranger and couldn’t
make out
even after trying to
dig deeper and deeper
into each and every
moment in my life.
Till then
I had boasted about
my sharp and photographic
memory
but the picture of
the child remained
elusive.
I watched him with
creasing forehead and
questioning eyes.
His broad forehead with
a ‘bindi’ in the middle
large and wide eyes
curiosity writ large in them
his aquiline nose
chubby cheeks, cherry lips
barring a gold chain around his
neck
and a waist chain around his hip
his right hand seemed to be fondling
his ‘bibi’
he was totally undressed
it was quite interesting
to watch him.
At last
I had to picture him
through words
to my mother.
She laughed patting my
shoulders
‘it is you my child
it is your photograph
etched somewhere in your
subconscious mind
unfortunately the photo got
misplaced somewhere
no surprise that
it remained elusive
to you’.
Something wonderful and
delightful to me
such a knowledge.

No comments: