Tuesday, August 21, 2012

COCONUT ELIXIR


Oh my Mother,
Mother Sea
how much delighted am I here
when I come near you
early in the morning?
Whenever I throw my
glances at you,
I recall my mother residing in a
small hamlet
in the far away land, Kerala.
You are here to
compensate my Mother’s absence,
Oh my Mother,
my Mother sea
how delighted I stand
before you?
Here,
in between your
infinity
and Oberoi-Trident
you can see
I am standing here
at the Marine Drive
beside a pile of
tender coconuts.
Wearing my usual lungi,
banyan and a towel tied
around my head
with a razor-sharp knife
in my hand which blazes like the sun
I am here.
In the morning
to enjoy your infinite beauty  
come morning walkers
from far away places
walking from Nariman Point
to Chowpathi and vice-versa
several times.
Many in droves, twos and
singly
walk in front of me
many come to a halt near me
with that familiar wish, ‘Hai’,
I return the wish with a smile with all humility.
Among the walkers are
white men and women
Arabs and Mumbaikars
familiar faces galore,
they need cool, pure, fresh
and sweet tender
coconut elixir.
I provide them the elixir by chopping off
the top of the tender coconut
and a straw put inside
they enjoy the drink and hand over charges.
Tourists
white men, women and
Arabs never demand balance
the bonanza I get
once in a while.
Oh, my Mother
my Mother Sea
how much delighted am I here
to be beside you
you always take care
to stroke my hairs and
cool my body with your elongated hands
of winds.
You know
I came by your side
when I was only twenty,
since then I am here
now that I am forty
you see
twenty years have gone
I have become part and parcel
of you and this beautiful city.
During leisure time 
we engage in silent conversation
Mother,
with all your blessings
I do a brisk business here.
You know
how much pain I feel
the moment I bid good bye
to you for the day
late into the night?
Oh my Mother
my Mother Sea
how much delighted am I here?
Words fail me Mother
Oh my Mother
a group is coming to me
after giving them
pure, cool, fresh, sweet elixir
we can pick up the thread
of our conversation, from where
we left……
    

No comments: