Friday, August 3, 2012

MAKE BELIEVE WORLDS


Evening
in the twilight moments
I pedaled my cycle,
to the nearby junction
for having my daily cup of tea.
On the way
by accident
my eyes flew to a
roadside house
and my looks got fixed on
a girl in her early twenties
clad in shining white nightie
standing erect on the terrace
she looked like a marble statue
watching me with a smile
a mischievous smile it was.
Taken aback
with shyness
I cycled along looking straight
to the junction
a few metres away.
I couldn’t forget the angelic green-eyed lass
her face shining in the yellow sun
like a halo around her head.
I got inside the tea-shop
and ordered the tea.
After the daily cup of tea
without waiting for my
friends
to have daily friendly chats,
I cycled along
to my house in a hurry.
I wanted to see her
again and  again
wanted to know whether she was there  or not,
I was asking myself
with thumping heart.
On reaching in front of her house  
my eyes flew to her
she was still there standing with her
hands crossed across the chest.
The twilight sun was
still shining on her face
upon seeing me going back to my house
she waved her hands
smiling, fascinating it was.
Each day
while cycling along to
the junction
I saw her
in her shining white nightie
and saw her smiling
and upon return
she waved her hands
with broad smile.
I thought she was loving me
I thought I was in her
mind always
I thought she was dreaming about me in her sleeps
I thought she was waiting
for me only daily in the evenings
and my mind jumped and jumped
with delight.
She came to me in my dreams
she was becoming my dream girl
I built a castle of dreams in the sky.
But friends,
I was mistaken.
I later came to know about
her smiling to everyone
waving to everyone passing by
and all lived in their make-believe worlds.
One morning
I saw her waiting
to catch the bus
at the bus stop
attired in top and jeans
glancing at her
I gifted her a smile
she cared not
and like a stranger
she looked in the
direction from which
the bus was about
to come and halt
at the stop.
Friend I am confused now
whether she was ‘that she’
standing on the terrace
my God….  


No comments: