Sunday, August 12, 2012

THE EMPIRE


This is my air-conditioned cabin
as long as I am here, it is my own.
This is my chair
as long as I am here, it is my own.
And
this is my table
this paper weight
and flower-vase
are mine now.
Before me
all these were properties of another persons
how many came
and owned them
I keep no numbers.
I am the king of this
empire now
all others in this 10 storeyed
empire
are my sub-ordinates
whatever I order
whatever I need
whatever innovations
to be made
whatever reforms to
be undertaken
the decision is mine only.
Mind you all,
as long as I am here, this is my empire
The cabin had
many stories to tell me,
the chair had many stories to tell me,
the table had many stories to tell me,
each still continues to
tell me
whenever I become
free, relaxed and comfortable.
The cabin says
The chair says
The table says
none,
except me had taken care of
them
none
except me
recognized their existence
none
except me
bid them goodbye
they came one day
went another day
without even looking back
at them
we were big zeroes.
Whenever I am free and relaxed
all of them tell me
‘when you go for good
don’t forget
at least to turn back and bid adieu
we too have sentiments
emotions, identities sir.’     

No comments: