Saturday, July 9, 2011

THE NEWSCASTER

With me starting reading
the newspaper of the day,
loud and clear
all sit around me
listening to the news in
rapt attention
like studious boys
sitting in front of their teachers.
With me reading various
news items,
without me knowing
my expressions undergo
changes,
anger, shock, wonder
sad, agony et al,
flashing across my face
and with sly glances I notice
the varying expressions
appearing on their faces too.
These days
the newspapers convey
bad, shocking and sensational news
ranging from
heist, theft, murder,
terror, scams, scandals,
sexual abuses, honour killings
deaths, gossips across the land
only a few items interesting
and puzzling
still addicted to the
newspapers
like today’s youth
coming under the influence of
drugs and alcohol.
Every morning
with the arrival of newspapers
we feel refreshed and curious and
in a hurry to listen to
the news items
read by me
as most of them are illiterate.
A vaccum, an emptiness
we feel and share
when there is no issue of newspapers
some days,
such is the addiction we have
towards the newspaper,
such is the fascination we have
towards the world of news
be them shocking or tear-jerking.

No comments: