Sunday, July 3, 2011

READY-MADE

My son and I drove
straight to a readymade
cloth bazar in the city
one day evening.
Sun had bid adieu for the
day
and before the pall of darkness
descending over the city,
street-lights started glowing
bathing the city in
oceanic light.
The bazar was a colour world
with ready-made items resting
in the glass-shelves.
We headed straight to the
ready-made cloth shop.
I wanted to purchase some
ready-made items for him,
his sister,
mother and myself.
New shirts, new pants, new
coats, t-shirts, churidhar-top,
salwar-kammeez, shawls, sarees
a long list of
ready-made items we purchased
and my thick purse turned thin
within no time.
'You have got everything
ready-made
but my son, no ready-made
shops existed while I was
your age.
I saw a glint of
curiosity in his eyes
and I continued
'those days we had to get
them stitched by a tailor
after taking measurements
and a prolonged
impatient wait lasting
two to three weeks
and look now, everything
is readymade no need to
purchase cloth-pieces seek
a tailor get them stitched
all quite easy my son' - chuckled I.
Question marks flashed in
his eyes
and he hesitatingly
inquired pointing towards the glass mannequin
'Are they ready-made ladies
and gents papa'
'My son' replied I
these days everything is ready-made
even your papa, mamma, sister
you all ready-made
items'.
We burst out laughing.

No comments: